- Stretch and breath chair based yoga
- Upright and Active
- Gentle yoga
- Angie Boogie Belly Fusion
- Strength and conditioning
- Tai Chi
- Tai Chi beginners
- Stretch and breath chair based yoga - Chair Yoga for men and women who are not able, to practise yoga on a mat. On Wednesdays from 10.30 to 11.30 am, at Mayfair Centre. British Wheel of Yoga Diploma trained teacher – Mary Reilly. Yoga originated in India thousands of years ago, as a secret practice for the spiritual elite, but over the past 100 years or so it has become available to all. The word yoga means union, of body mind and spirit, and many people have found that the practices help to improve flexibility, vitality, digestion, lung function, general muscle tone, health and wellbeing, concentration, awareness, and inner calm. The pictures in many yoga books would lead you to believe that yoga can only be practised by skinny, young, athletic people, who like to tie themselves in knots and stand on their heads, but nothing could be further from the truth. Yoga is a gentle and enjoyable way to keep fit and mobile, which starts where you are, and can be practised by virtually anyone, irrespective of level of fitness or age. This class is specifically geared towards people who, on account of age or chronic health condition, require very gentle exercise and relaxation in a seated position, or standing with the chair for support. It is a friendly supportive class and includes yoga stretches and movements (asana), yoga breath control (pranayama), and relaxation techniques. You will be encouraged to work slowly, at your own pace. Yoga is non-competitive so there is no need to keep up with anyone else. Modifications and adaptations are provided if required. Please wear loose comfortable clothing, such as a tracksuit bottom and loose T shirt. Yoga should be practised on an empty stomach, so it is recommended not to have a meal for two hours before class, although if necessary a small snack or banana could be consumed. For more information please contact Mayfair Centre, or Mary Reilly on 01694 722592.
- Upright and Active - ‘Upright and Active’ is a course designed to maintain your strength, along with promoting health and posture, increase mobility and coordination. The course will also keep you supple, mentally alert and build on social skills to enable you to lead an independent lifestyle. The course is run by Wendy Southorn on Tuesdays from 11am. to 12 noon at Mayfair. If you require any further information, please telephone Mayfair’s reception on 01694 722077.
- Gentle yoga - Yoga Classes on Monday evenings: 5.15 - 6.45 and 7.00 - 8.30. Both Yoga classes are suitable for all abilities and consist of a blend of gentle stretches sequenced and synchronised with the breathe with meditation and relaxation techniques threaded through. The classes have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere leaving you feeling refreshed and restored. Yoga will also help to improve your flexibility, core strength, posture and to control your stress levels, enabling you to feel calm, focused and balanced. The classes are taught by Jayne Evans, a British Wheel of Yoga teacher, qualified in all aspects of yoga and with over 15 years experience. All you need is loose clothing, a yoga mat and a blanket or warm layer for the relaxation practice at the end. If you are interested in giving yoga a try, contact Jayne by phone or email, firstname.lastname@example.org or 01694 723121
- Angie Boogie Belly Fusion - My name is Angela and I teach belly dance! My lovely ladies and I always welcome new ladies of all ages, shapes and sizes to ‘Angie boogie belly fusion’ on Tuesday evenings 7-8pm and for an extra bonus 8-8.30 (optional). There is absolutely no need to bare your tummy in fact some ladies just reveal their ankles and elbows. We all wear comfortable loose clothes and are either barefoot or wear flat footwear . We even love to dress up and sparkle. The emphasis is to have good fun and lots of giggles. The belly dancing is based on Arabic dance and incorporates other dance styles .We love to dance to an assortment of music, and learn funky combinations and sensual moves .It is great exercise with techniques that helps strengthen the core muscles. We have felt the beat of Morocco, shined to ‘Pretty Woman’ and glided gracefully with hand fans to ‘Music of the Night’. We also twirl and swirl with colourful veils which is such a uplifting experience and shimmying is wonderful therapy. Angela has attended dance workshops throughout the country and has completed the JWAAD Foundation Course (The Josephine Wise Academy of Arabic Dance) where she qualified both in teaching and health and safety. All of Angela’s classes include suitable warm-up and cool down sessions. For more information, Angela can be contacted on 01694 724053.
- Pilates - 12 - 1pm, Wednesdays. There are many different types of Pilates sessions on offer and Fitness Pilates is just one of many. Don’t be put off by its name though! It is suitable for everyone, all ages and all abilities. I have been teaching Fitness Pilates in and around Church Stretton for four years and many people have enjoyed multiple benefits from the classes. Often I find that they have come to class on recommendation from a physio or a GP. The beauty of the class is that everyone can work at their own pace, choosing the level that suits them. I am experienced in teaching beginners, alongside advanced class members so everyone can benefit. But it’s also fun. I’m a big believer that exercise is part of how we choose to spend our valuable recreation time, so whilst we take the sessions seriously we don’t have to take ourselves too seriously! We start each session with a full warm up in standing. This gets the joints, tendons and ligaments working and gets the muscles to gently and safely warm up and wake up in readiness for approx 45 minutes of matwork based exercises for the remainder of the session. The class is based upon the teachings of Joseph Pilates who was the founder of the exercise system but because we know so much about physiology and anatomy and how the body should be moving and developing, all the matwork exercises are modern and bang up to date for the 21st century. The music is relaxing, and the group is very small and friendly, so everyone is made to feel welcome. If you would like to find out more you can contact me on 07739721549, or via email at email@example.com Or come along on any Wednesday during term-time and try a free taster session
- Extend - Thursdays 9.45am – 10.45am. Exercise for Health
classes are for people who wish to stay flexible in their body and mind. We use
music with our movements, little balls and beanbags, sticks and stretch bands, scarves
and canes to enhance the exercises – both sitting and standing. We often close the class with 10 minutes of
tai chi and have lots of fun and laughter. Most of us are 70-90, but young at
Thursdays 11-12. Gentle exercise for Health. The same as above but for those with slightly less flexibility and for those aged from 50-90. Standing exercises only.
- Tai Chi and Tai Chi beginners - Tai
Chi classes on Friday mornings, at 9am and also 10.30am. Taiji
Quan is taichi chuan rendered in the Pinyin system of spelling Chinese which
has replaced the more familiar Wade-Giles system previously used. Yang family
style taiji quan has enjoyed a high reputation as a martial art and general
health and exercise regime for more than a century and its origins are far
older. It involves moving through a series of specific postures at a slow
constant pace without tension in the body or limbs. It seeks to achieve a
harmonious state of being, between movement and stillness. People continue to
practice taiji because taiji:
· gently exercises the entire body
· improves balance and coordination
· strengthens muscles, joints, organs and bones
· soothes and relaxes the body and the mind
· helps prevent illness and heal injuries
· enhances and regulates natural vitality
There are no belts, gradings, certificates and so forth, students advance at their own pace. Everyone is welcome and everyone can benefit from taiji quan.
- Zumba - A calorie-burning exercise class that's more like a party! Tone up and have fun moving to Salsa, Samba, Merengue, Rumba, Mambo and more! Light weight, comfortable clothing and flat shoes or trainers are ideal. Don't forget to bring water and a SMILE. Classes £4,50 each. Contact Gill Hamer 07740 835673 Email firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook Zumbashropshire